Kodi app is an open-source media player software application which was developed by the XBMC/Kodi Foundation. It is totally free and was designed mainly for the home entertainment. Kodi is managed by the non-profit XBMC Foundation, unlike Chromecast or Plex. It constantly gets upgraded and modified by many coders around the world. With this Kodi, you can play and view streaming media such as music, videos, podcasts, and also videos from the internet. Also, you can view the common digital media files from local storage media. There is a lot more to say about Kodi. So, first, check what are the features available in Kodi app and then see how to install it on Android, PC, Firestick, iOS device, Smart TV, etc.
What is Kodi
Initially, Kodi was created in the year 2002. Since then, it was being shaped by more than 200 translators and more than 500 software developers. It gives the ability to stream media files from the internet by turning your Smartphone, Tablet, or PC into a streamer or digital set-top box. It was designed to run on home servers and PCs that are connected to the larger TV. But according to recent updates, it is now possible to run the Kodi on particular / selected Tablets, Smartphones, etc. Kodi is compatible with different operating systems such as Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, OSX, etc. and hardware platforms.
|Requirements||Android 5.0+/ iOS/ PC/ Other|
|Latest Update on||19th August 2016|
- Music: It plays all the Music including mp3, wav, wma, and flac formats. For control of your music collection, it has smart playlists, tag reading support, and cue sheet.
- Movies: You can even play Movies using Kodi. It supports all the video formats including streamable online media. That is, it can import, browse and play the movie collection easily.
- TV Shows: This feature supports episode and season views with banners or posters, show descriptions, actors, and watched tags. It is best in keeping track of your progress.
- Photos: You can import pictures or photos into a library and browse different views. Also, by using your remote control you can start a slideshow and sort or filter pictures.
- PVR: As it is developed from easy to use interface, it allows you to watch and record live TV. It works with popular backends including MythTV, MediaPortal, Tvheadend, NextPVR, and much more.
- Skin: You can change the complete appearance of the interface with Skins. You will definitely find something that suits your taste.
- Add-Ons: Kodi Add-Ons are available for popular applications, web services, and scripts. From the vast selection of Add-ons created by the user, you can know the real power of Kodi.
- Web Interfaces: Using JSON-RPC based remote interface, you can interface with Kodi. It brings more possibilities for web browsers, remote controls, and other 3rd party tools to take this Kodi to the next level.
- Remote Controls: With this feature, you can control your media on your own way. For this, the Kodi gives the support for hundreds of remote controls, CEC-compatible TVs, or one of the new Tablet and Smartphone Apps.
How to install Kodi TV?
- Open http://kodi.tv/download/
- There you can see different operating systems. Click on ‘Other’ > ‘Linux’.
- In the ARM section, click on xBian.
- Connect USB on the back of your TV.
- In the remote control press source and click on USB.
- Select All files and download Kodi on to the Hard drive.
- On completion of installation, Kodi successfully installed.
- Click on it. There you have Kodi on Smart TV.
- Thus, you can install Kodi without Fire TV or Set-top Box or Android Box.
Install Kodi on Firestick
- In the Fire TV, go to Settings and click on Device.
- Select the Developer Options and turn ON both Apps from Unknown Sources and ABD debugging.
- Now, go back to the Home screen and find the search option on the left side.
- In that search bar, type Downloader and enter.
- Click on the Downloader App and click on ‘Get’ to download that app.
- Wait till the installation completes, and click on ‘Open’.
- It may show a notification with app features, Click OK.
- Enter the URL of Kodi Download page: http://kodi.tv/download and click ‘Download’.
- Click on ‘Open in Browser’ >> OK >> Android >> ARMV7A (32BIT) >> Cancel >> Install >> Open.
- After installation, add Video add-ons to watch movies and TV shows.
- In Apps, if the Kodi app does not show up, Settings >> Applications >> Manage Installed Applications >> Kodi >> Launch Application.
Read more about How to install Kodi on Firestick
If you want to convert old TV into smart TV, check Amazon Fire Stick Hack
Steps to install Kodi on Roku
- First, connect your device (Android or Windows) to the same wireless network that was connected to Roku.
- Download ‘Kodi’ on your Device by using Kodi Download page. In that page, you can download, either Windows or Android version.
- Go to Settings on your Roku device and Turn ON screen mirroring (System >> Screen Mirroring >> Enable it).
- Now, Leave Roku ON and turn ON screen mirroring on your Smartphone or Tablet.
To know how to turn on screen mirroring for different devices, check How to install Kodi on Roku.
Kodi Download on Apple TV
- First, connect your Apple TV to Mac through USB-C to USB-A cable.
- Open the Xcode on your device and from the main menu select “Create a new Xcode project”.
- Under the tvOS section, select “Application” >> “Single View Application” >> “Next”.
- Give a product name and organization name. Also, enter the Bundle Identifier.
- Click on ‘Next’ and save that project by selecting some location.
- Click on ‘Fix Issue’ to resolve the issue of ‘No matching provisioning profiles found’.
- Add Apple Account ID and select a Development Team from the drop-down.
- At the top of the Xcode window, select the Apple TV from the drop-down.
- Now, open the iOS App Signer app and from the drop-down select the Signing Certificate.
- Select the project you created in Xcode in the ‘Provisioning Field’.
- In ‘Input File’, click Browse and locate the Kodi .deb file that you downloaded earlier.
- If you don’t want to rename the Kodi app on your Apple TV home screen, you can leave the field ‘App Display Name’ blank.
- Click ‘Start’ so that the iOS App Signer will create an IPA file based on the .deb file. In Xcode, go to Window >> Devices.
- Under the ‘Installed Apps’, Click ‘+’ button.
- Finally, locate the IPA file created in the iOS App Signer app and select it. Now the package should be installed on Apple TV and you can use.
Download Kodi on Windows PC
- You can Download the Kodi windows version from the official website: http://kodi.tv/download/
- Wait till the download completes.
- Click on ‘Run’.
- The Setup wizard appears. There, click on ‘Next’.
- Then accept the terms and conditions by clicking on ‘I Agree’.
- Click on Next, then it shows the file location.
- Click on Next > Install > Close All > Select Run Out > Finish.
How to download Kodi on Android?
- First, go to settings >> security >> enable Unknown sources.
- Now, install it from Google play store. or
- Open the official site: http://kodi.tv/download/ in your Android browser. It may show the warning during download. Then, click on ‘OK’ and wait for the ‘apk’ to download.
- After downloading, open it from the notification bar or from the file explorer.
- It will ask whether to open Package installer or Google Play or some other similar option. Select the desired one.
- You can see the confirmation screen. There click on the “install” and wait till the installation completes.
To know other methods of installation, check Kodi for Android
Install Kodi for iOS without Jailbreak
- To install Kodi on iOS, the requirements are iOS App Signer, Xcode 7 or higher, and Mac OS X 10.9 or higher.
- First, connect your iOS device (iPhone/iPad) to your Mac using Type-C cable.
- Now, open the Xcode and create a new iOS project in it.
- Enter the product name and a unique identifier and click Next.
- Now, the Xcode displays ‘No matching provisioning profiles found’. Click on Fix Issues.
- It asks to add Apple Account ID. If you have you can sign-in, if not, create the free developer account.
- Now, to fix the issue, you can select a Development Team from the drop-down to use for provisioning.
- Xcode shouldn’t have any errors after fixing the issue.
- If you have any additional devices, Plug in that device >> Go to Product Menu >> Select your device under Destination >> Repeat the process from Step 5.
- Now, open the iOS App Signer and select your provisioning profile and signing certificate.
- Click on start and choose a particular location to save the output.
- In Xcode menu, click on Window >> Devices.
- Finally, make sure that your iOS device is selected. Click on + symbol at the bottom of the page and then choose or add the generated file.
This is the method to install Kodi on iOS using Xcode without Jailbreaking. There are still other methods to download Kodi on iPhone. Check those from below link.
Install Kodi for iOS with Jailbreak without Jailbreak
How to get Subtitles on Kodi?
- In Kodi app, go to Settings > Player settings > Language. You can see different subtitles settings. There, you can also select the separate subtitle services for TV shows and movies.
- In the Language field, select the desired language that you want to get for subtitles when searching.
- You can either select the service for Movies and TV Episodes or download extra services.
- It allows you to select the default service. If the list is empty, you can download additional services by clicking on the ‘Get More’ button.
- Now, you can see the list of subtitle services available to download. Click on the one that you want to install. If the list is empty without any subtitle services, check the Internet connection and then try again.
- After installing several subtitle services, you can select one as default from the list to use.
- These subtitles modules have additional settings for each. So, to make changes, go to Add-Ons >> My Add Ons >> Subtitles >> <installed subtitle service> >> Configure.
If you fail to add subtitles using this method, check the solution to get Subtitles for Kodi
How to Check Kodi Log File
To check Kodi log file on your streaming device, there are two ways. One is through opening the log file with a text viewer or editor by browsing the location where the log file is located. Another method is through installing a Kodi add-on that makes it possible to view the log file from within Kodi itself. Click the below link to check the detailed steps about checking Kodi Log File. You can also check how to fix errors.
Updating Kodi app is not just a simple task. The old version is Jarvis. So, if you are still using that version, you can update the Kodi to the new version Krypton. You can update it on any device Android, PC, and Fire TV. Before updating, you need to check whether your device is having enough space or not for storing the new version. This problem may be faced by the Smartphone or Firestick users. If that is on PC or Linux machine this issue won’t occur.
Know how to update Kodi